Sunday, September 14, 2014

2014 Adventures!

I haven't updated this blog in ages, and I'd like to share some highlights from the past season! 
I just finished a week of rehearsing and recording with my new brass quintet, Seraph Brass! Very excited for the future with this ensemble. Stay tuned!




In August, I returned to the Marlboro Music Festival in Vermont to perform Poulenc's The Masked Ball and Beethoven's Choral Fantasy. We also read through a piece for trumpet, bassoon, clarinet, violin, and cello that I liked very much-Casella's Serenata (a piece which in 1928 won first prize tied with Bartok's 3rd string quartet for the Musical Fund Society in Philadelphia) and Wagner's Siegfried Idyll.
(photo by Pete Checchia)








In early August, I completed recording for my debut solo album, "Radiance." I am hoping it will be released by Christmas. We recorded in Philadelphia at my alma mater, The Curtis Institute of Music, in Gould Recital Hall. I recorded all American works including a commission by Philadelphia based composer, Joseph Hallman and David Ludwig's Radiance for piccolo trumpet and strings. I also recorded Joseph Turrin's Arabesque with my former teacher, David Bilger (Principal Trumpet, Philadelphia Orchestra). Other collaborators included pianists Alexandra Carlson and Milana Strezeva, trombonist Zenas Kim, and thanks to Leann Currie for assisting during the recording and during filming.


                                  (with David Bilger, sound engineer Florian Krentz, and pianist Alexandra Carlson)

           I also had a great time working with the amazing artist/videographer, Pablo Camacho.
(photo by Pablo Camacho in Gould Recital Hall at The Curtis Institute of Music)


In July, I had the joy of teaching at The Curtis Institute of Music's Young Artist Summer Program for a week. I heard some fantastic young talent! I was especially proud of hornist Andrew and pianist Gladys. They were a joy to coach and really made some great music in their recital performance (photo with Gladys, Andrew, and Curtis Artist teacher and Seraph Brass member, Katy Ambrose). 











In June and July, I performed with the Des Moines Metro Opera in Iowa. My favorite opera to perform was Bizet/Brook adaptation of the Tragedy of Carmen with small chamber ensemble. I also reconnected with a hornist who was in the Chicago Youth Symphony with me from 1998-2000, Margaret Tung! We formed a brass trio recital with trombonist Timothy Howe. This was the highlight of my time in Iowa-we performed the Poulenc trio, the Nelhybel trio, and other works. I was so excited to revisit the Nelhybel-this is a piece I used to work on with my older brothers when they used to play trombone and horn. Our first teacher, Timothy Jones used to coach us. I think it was ingrained in my brain!




My summer began in Fayetteville, Arkansas, where I performed as Principal Trumpet with the Artosphere Festival Orchestra, conducted by Corrado Rovaris. This orchestra had tons of vibrant energy and I loved it so much! The festival was nice enough to let me do the beginning process of my CD recording. I recorded with a group of the festival strings and also with Principal Flutist of Utah Symphony, Mercedes Smith and pianist Milana Strezeva and sound engineer Florian Krentz with assistant producer, Jose Sibaja.

                                       2014 Artosphere Festival Orchestra Brass Section





In May, I performed at my first International Trumpet Guild Conference in Valley Forge, PA. I performed Catherine McMichael's Totem Voices (a work that will be on the cd) and also Turrin's Arabesque. I met so many great trumpeters!




In mid-May, I had a trio performance in Jamestown, NY with pianist Milana Strezeva and trombone. Stay tuned for more performances through Manhattan Music Ensemble! 
                                                                      (photo by Raniero Tazzi)

In the spring, I went on a 3 week tour of the midwest with some great brass players. We traveled around in tour vans through Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, Indiana, and South Dakota. I loved tour life and a highlight was when we stopped to serenade a group of cows:


                                                                              (photo by Vanessa Briceno)

My long tour started off in Tucson, Arizona with my "Aunt" Terri Smith and Reverend John Smith! I performed a recital with organist Douglas Leightenheimer at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, gave a class at the University (thanks to Ed Reid!) Keith Hege and his wife hosted a beautiful reception at their house. 

Other season highlights prior to this long April-September tour included a recital in Laredo, TX at Texas A&M International University, my solo debut with the Springfield Symphony in Ohio conducted by Peter Stafford Wilson, and performing as principal trumpet with my favorite vocal group, Seraphic Fire in Miami.


                                     With pianist, Joachim Reinhuber at Texas A&M International Univeristy


                         Rehearsing with the Springfield Symphony conducted by Peter Stafford Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment